15.8 C
New York
Friday, September 22, 2023

Buy now

Is Creeping Jenny toxic to Dogs

I appreciate nature in all of its forms, and that reflects on the choices I have made in my house and life. I have four lovely pets: two dogs and two cats, and, of course, a garden at the back of my house.

You will easily fall in love with my garden, as it boasts numerous fruits, vegetables, spices, and beautiful plants such as creeping jenny. If you have a garden and dogs, it is best to find out what plants are safe or unsafe for your dogs.

Is creeping Jenny toxic to dogs? No, unlike Lilly, Foxglove, Sago Palm, and other plants that could lead to organ damage or death, creeping Jenny is incapable of creating health complications for your dog, but it may cause little irritations like an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea if your dog is exposed to large quantities.

What is Creeping Jenny?

Creeping Jenny, also known as Lysimachia nummularia, is a low-growing perennial plant native to Europe and western Asia. It belongs to the Primulaceae family. Creeping Jenny is popular for its trailing habit and attractive, rounded leaves.

The plant has small, bright yellow flowers that bloom during the summer. The leaves are round or kidney-shaped, featuring a glossy texture and a vibrant green color. The stems of Creeping Jenny are long and flexible, allowing them to spread and form dense mats or carpets.

Due to its ability to spread rapidly, creeping Jenny is commonly used as a ground cover in gardens, landscapes, and hanging baskets. It can quickly fill in empty spaces, preventing the growth of weeds and providing a lush, carpet-like effect.

Is Creeping Jenny Safe for Dogs?

It is safe to plant creepy Jenny in a garden your dog is allowed access to, as creeping Jenny is incapable of causing a toxic reaction to your dog even if they ingest it.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Creeping Jenny is not considered harmful to dogs.

Nevertheless, it’s wise to discourage your dog from consuming any plant material as it may cause stomach discomfort, even if the plant itself is not considered safe. If your dog happens to eat Creeping Jenny and displays signs of illness, it’s essential to reach out to your veterinarian for assistance.


Is Creeping Jenny poisonous to dogs?

While creeping Jenny is not toxic, it may be considered poisonous if ingested in large quantities. If significant amounts are inhaled, absorbed, or ingested, poisons can cause harm to dogs.

Your dog wouldn’t eat the amount of creeping jenny that would cause a stomach upset in many cases, except if they are lacking nutrients, have PICA, or suffer from digestive issues.

My garden is covered with creeping jenny, and I allow my dog to play around it. While dogs may not be as cautious about what they eat as cats, my dogs don’t go around the garden eating random plants because I have trained them.

You can apply the same tactics to your dog; train them on what to eat and what not to eat, or don’t let them have access to your garden or areas in your house where plants that are not safe for them are kept.

Here are some conditions that can make creeping jenny poisonous to dogs:

● Creeping Jenny contains saponins, which can cause gastrointestinal irritation if eaten. However, the plant is generally only mildly toxic.


● Small ingestions, such as a dog nibbling on some leaves or stems, usually only cause mild drooling or vomiting. Significant poisoning is rare.


● Larger ingestions, such as a dog eating a substantial number of leaves, could potentially cause more severe vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.


● The biggest risk is for dogs that dig up and eat the creeping Jenny bulbs or tubers. These contain a higher concentration of saponins.


● Contact dermatitis (skin irritation) may also occur in some dogs from the plant oils.


What Are Some Other Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs?

These toxic plants produce toxins that can affect your cat’s overall health and even lead to death in some cases. Here is a list of them:


Lily is quite a beautiful flower used in bouquets or as decorations, but it can be very poisonous to dogs, which is why you should either remove the plants from your home or screen your dog from having access to areas where the lily is grown.

In the Lilly family, various flowers can be toxic to dogs, including the tiger, Easter, stargazer, and day lily. Every part of a Lilly plant is toxic to dogs, including its flowers, bulbs, and stem.


Tulips can be harmful to dogs. The different parts of the tulip plant, such as the bulbs, flowers, and stems, contain substances known as tulipalin A and tulipalin B, which can cause issues if a dog ingests them. The severity of the effects can differ based on how much is consumed and the size of the dog.


Azaleas (Rhododendron spp.), including both the leaves and flowers, are considered toxic to dogs. These plants contain toxins called grayanotoxins, which can cause various symptoms if ingested by dogs.

Consuming azaleas can cause stomach problems in dogs. This may include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal discomfort. In severe situations or when dogs consume larger amounts, they may exhibit more serious signs like weakness, breathing difficulties, tremors, and even potential heart problems.

It’s worth mentioning that every part of the plant, such as the flowers, leaves, stems, and even the water they’re in, contains toxins that can be harmful to dogs.


Hyacinths are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. The toxic principle is primarily in the bulbs of the plant, but the entire plant is considered toxic. Ingestion can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and tremors.

What to Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned by a Plant

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned by a plant, it’s important to take immediate action. Here are some steps you can take if you believe your dog has ingested a toxic plant:

First, let’s assess the situation

Make an effort to identify the plant that your furry friend might have consumed. If you can, collect a sample of the plant or take a picture of it to show your vet. Having this information will assist them in deciding the best course of action.

Observe your dog

Keep a close eye on your dog and look out for any unusual behavior that could indicate poisoning. Watch for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, difficulty breathing, weakness, tremors, seizures, or any other abnormal actions.

It’s important to note when your dog ingested something harmful and how their symptoms developed over time. This information will be valuable for the vet.

Contact a veterinarian

Call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately. Describe the situation and provide as much information as possible, including the name of the plant involved. Follow their instructions for further guidance.

Do not induce vomiting without veterinary guidance

Inducing vomiting may not be appropriate for all plant poisonings. Some plants can cause more harm if brought back up. It’s best to follow the advice of your veterinarian regarding whether or not to induce vomiting.

Provide supportive care

If instructed by your veterinarian, you may be advised to administer certain treatments or provide supportive care at home before you can reach the veterinary clinic. This might include rinsing the mouth, providing activated charcoal (if recommended), or keeping your dog calm and comfortable.

Tips for having dogs and creping Jenny plants safely

While this plant isn’t toxic to dogs, it is essential to take certain precautions that would prevent a potential Gi upset:

Plant Placement: Creeping Jenny are creeping plants and won’t fit inside the house as they would take over the whole place. While you plant them in your garden or yard, ensure they are not easily accessible to your dog, especially if your dog has the propensity to chew on random plants.
Train your dog: For every dog I add to my family, I ensure to teach them handy commands like “leave it” or “no”, This makes it easy to restrict them from doing certain things. You can teach your dog the same commands, and you can use them to train them against eating plants that are not suitable for them.
Consider barriers: If your dog is curious and persistent, fencing or a barrier would be the perfect way of keeping your dog away from accessing areas where your plants are located.

Is Creeping Jenny toxic to dogs? Final Thoughts

Creeping Jenny is generally safe for dogs. It is considered non-toxic to them, and while it may cause minor irritations such as an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea if ingested in large quantities, serious health complications are unlikely.

It’s always wise to discourage your dog from consuming any plant material, even if it is considered safe. If your dog happens to eat Creeping Jenny and displays signs of illness, it’s important to reach out to your veterinarian for assistance.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles